Re: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: Re: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:28:14 -0500

Cassandra Greer wrote:

Is the person who made the changes a native English speaker? (asking just in
case)

If the mistakes really are mistakes then I suggest being polite but firm
about it.
I have just started a new job as the technical writer for the
security department of a bank. I've done tech writing before, but
as a contractor in a team; now I'm a lone writer.

Someone else wrote:
The first piece of writing I gave to my manager was changed to be
ungrammatical. I tried to point this out, but was afraid to push
very hard. I've since checked my references to make sure I'm
right, and I am. My version also sounds fine, according to some
writing-savvy friends -- it isn't a case of really awkward
"correctness," and the changes are distractingly wrong. While
there are no points of grammar that are actually worth my job, if
anyone has advice on how to handle this, I'd appreciate hearing it.

There are several applicable rules:
Rule 1. The boss is never wrong except when rule 2 applies.
Rule 2. See Rule 1.

Seriously, there may be some business reasons for the changes or technical terms that he/she wants to include. Perhaps if you feel strongly you should let it sit for a day and very casually discuss the changes, non-confrontationally. Prior to the meeting, read the changes for substance and re-word them. At the meeting thank your boss for the corrections and give appropriate assurances in accordance with rule 1 above, and with a grin, ask if our idiot customers might understand your language better.

--
Peter

Sisyphus had it easy

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com