Re: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: Re: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: "John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:55:29 -0500

> > The first piece of writing I gave to my manager was
changed to
> > be ungrammatical. I tried to point this out, but was
afraid to push
> > very hard. I've since checked my references to make sure
I'm right,
> > and I am. My version also sounds fine, according to some
writing-savvy
> > friends -- it isn't a case of really awkward
"correctness," and the
> > changes are distractingly wrong.

You did your job...you wrote something. The fact that
management made a change is not your fault, and they are
allowed to do this. Now, management told you how to handle
it and you must accept it. You may not know the real reason
for the change, like maybe the change came from the CEO
through your manager.

Whenever this happens, document it in an email, nothing
major, just a line or two, and keep the email. You have your
proof and if it comes back to bite you later, you did your
job.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
writer[at]tdandw.com