Re: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: Re: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:23:02 -0800 (PST)

"Rachael Lininger" wrote...

> The article was a short piece on security awareness for the company
newsletter. The first two paragraphs started like this:

> "Like a lot of people, ...
> "These emails are frauds."
>
> The paragraphs were was changed to: "Like a lot of people, ...
> "These are fraud emails."
>
> I don't think my prose is deathless and in no need of correction; that
article was dashed off _very_ quickly to meet a deadline for the newsletter (as
I said, I'm new). I just think that "fraud" is not an adjective, and that the
con artists are asking you to verify your account information _for_ the online
services, rather than asking you to verify your online services.

Your edits changed the meaning.

A "fraud email" is not the same thing as "a fraud."

"A fraud" is widely accepted as term to indicate a deal, offer, or condition
where somebody or something is making a fraudulent claim.

A fraud email is an email that was forged or falsified. A fraud email does not,
necessarily mean the information in the email is fraudulent.

Your boss is describing a situation that is "a fraud" not "fraudulent emails."

I'd say your bosses original version was fine and you should accept his/her
edits. Furthermore, just because something is grammatically correct doesn't
mean it makes sense. Most people are not as obsessed with grammar as tech
writers. The goal is communication, not perfection.

Next time, ask your boss what he means to say rather than just making the
change and assuming you know better. Understand the context and the purpose of
the words. Grammar is intended to help clarify content, not alter it.

Andrew Plato

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com