Re: Really caring about communication

Subject: Re: Really caring about communication
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:00:39 -0600

I've been watching with increasing curiosity this, um, shall I say, debate?

I want to point something out, but don't slam me, it's just the way things really are. The importance of putting together a grammatically correct sentence and making sure verb tenses, as well as all misspellings are eradicated in writing is becoming harder to find.

I find typo's and grammatical issues in most every newspaper I read, every novel, every nonfiction book, every piece of legal documentation lengthier than 5 pages, emails, newsletters, etc. <this was not meant to be an exhaustive list, just an example>

People have become sloppy and that's because the content is really more important than all those other things. Those are perceived to be important to us English majors, or those of us that publish technical works with a conventional publisher (but even then there are so many sets of eyes, the writer, the tech editor, the copy editor, the developmental editor and back to the writer, that lots of of errors are corrected.)

In 90% of my projects during the past 18 years I have been the sole writer, no one checks my work. That means 1) I have to find someone to double-check my work, and 2) I have had to develop a keen eye for error. This means I have become a very fast and accurate editor. But if I 1) hadn't been a consultant my entire career, and 2) didn't really care about the material I was churning out, my editing skills wouldn't be honed, but I'd probably still be able to find another full time job.

It boils down to this: content is tantamount to everything. That's why journalism packs the punch in the first paragraph or two, the inverted pyramid was created for everyone who doesn't have the patience for detail. "Just gimme the facts, Jack!" Don't you believe manuals are read that way? Heck, I'm a writer and I don't even READ manuals. I play around with stuff and if I come to a stumbling block I only want the facts on that specific problem and I could care less if there are typo's, as long as I can still extrapolate what I need. Most stuff we purchase in America today is made in China anyway so the directions are useless, and Microsoft Word corrects our errors for us, why would we need to worry about language rules?

Happy New Year!

Michele

--
Michele

I got out of Babylon, but there was no Zion. No Promised Land.
www.krautgrrl.com

Andrew Plato wrote:

That's how tech writer's view it. The rest of the world doesn't. The rest of
the world thinks grammar is a convention that is easily cleaned up as needed.
Something that is incidental. An afterthought. Once the content is correct,
getting the grammar and the styles cleaned up is easy. Very easy.
In your stool example, grammar and style are the paint and packaging of the
stool. The three legs are all content. The stool can still exist and function
without the paint and packaging. It might not be as effective or useful, but it
still works.
Its about priorities. Grammar and style should consume a tiny fraction of a
tech writer's effort and time. Subject matter accuracy should overwhelmingly
consume a writer's efforts.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com