Re: Compiling Manual in MS Word - 2nd thought

Subject: Re: Compiling Manual in MS Word - 2nd thought
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: Technical Writers List <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:46:15 +1000

Further thoughts on what I wrote earlier (see below).
Linking the file of common material, instead of inserting it, may be a better solution. That way, if you change the common material, you can just update the link (or set it to update automatically) to ensure than the final manual has the latest version of the common info. Same comments regarding formatting -- use the same template and styles to avoid problems.

Jean

Meenakshi Razdan asked,

I have received a requirement of preparing a set of Installation manuals.
In these installation manuals, first few topics will be more or less same
and the remaining manual will include the details of specific application.

If I create one manual for the common topics and other manual for specific
module, is there any procedure in MS Word to compile the manuals in a single
manual except the Insert > File procedure (so that formatting part is not
affected ).

Have you had problems using Insert > File? If so, what were the problems? It works well for me. If the two files are based on the same template, or at least use the same style names for the same elements, formatting should not be affected. You might find it necessary to insert a page or section break between the two files, but you might not need to.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/