Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:53:25 -0500

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:18:15 -0800, Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

Caroline Tabach wrote:

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions how to test someone's working
knowledge of FrameMaker (all our books are in a specific template and we
wouldn't expect the person to change that).

If the candidate simply has to work with a specific template, then the
requirement is trivial. Even someone who hasn't used FrameMaker could be
up and running in a couple of hours at the very most. Is there any way
that you could discreetly suggest that this requirement isn't necessary?

Correct. I got a contract using Frame on the strength of having fiddled
with it for a week on a friend's borrowed laptop, not to mention the hiring
manager's fascination with my subtle Micky Mouse necktie. These silly "skills"
requirements ("Must have three years' experience with Craftsman 20-oz
hammer,") exist because they are easier to generate and to test for than
the actual requirement that the writer be able to write acceptably. Also,
in the current market, where one help-wanted ad can bring thousands of
replies, quantifiable requirements make it easier to wade through the
slush pile.