Re: Writer's insurance question

Subject: Re: Writer's insurance question
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:52:22 -0500

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote on 01/06/2004 01:04:31 PM:
> It was a false claim, in my case. Totally false. It is not
> offering me> anything, but the e-mail said it was. Is there a
> difference between a false claim and a lie?

Some people get offended far too easily. I mean honestly, advertising that had a
gotcha? Who'd a thunk it?
Insurance with small print and exclusions. Wow, when did that start?

I'm sure a polite question of "I'm interested in STC sponsored health coverage,
but the current provider won't cover my area. Do you have any STC sponsored
alternatives?" Might actually get a polite and helpful reply.

I'm sure even for those that live in areas where coverage is available have to
meet other criteria not listed in the e-mail to be insurable. Should they all be
offended and pissed that they were lied to? Or, should the e-mail have been
dozens of pages long listing every clause of every possible contract that is
offered? I'd be willing to bet every insurance policy out there has regional
differences and exclusions.

The fact the website said:
"We will soon offer quick, accurate quotes for individual health insurance
coverage in your state. Please fill in the information below, and we will
contact you when our services become available."
Might actually mean that coverage IS forthcoming momentarily. Perhaps even
because the STC asked for it. Enquiring politely might ensure it becomes
available. Personally, being prickly and accusatory about it would put you on my
"too much trouble to serve" client list.

The accusatory tone of the e-mail based simply on the oversight of not filtering
a mass mailing with the correct criteria was uncalled for. "Adults" don't get
pissed over omissions and errors.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer