RE: Writer's insurance question

Subject: RE: Writer's insurance question
From: "Char James-Tanny" <CharJT -at- helpstuff -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 04:18:28 -0500

> "*** Although we are licensed in all 50 states, we are
> currently not quoting online or offline in the following
> states for INDIVIDUAL coverage: Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine,
> Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire.

Just a note that no one can cover individuals in Massachusetts, for health
insurance anyway. The laws changed several years ago when they made it so
pre-existing conditions must always be covered with no penalty and anyone
wanting health insurance must belong to a "group."

As a result, I had to join a business association to purchase health
insurance. On the other hand, I have a pre-existing condition, but I can
change insurance companies at any time and have full coverage with no
exclusions.

This has nothing to do with STC, Marsh, or anything other than the fact that
it's state law. The information is available at the mass.gov Web site
(somewhere...it's been awhile since I had to look it up). When I receive
something like I did from the STC yesterday, I know the health insurance
portion doesn't apply to Mass residents and don't even bother to check any
further.

Char