Re: PowerPoint is art

Subject: Re: PowerPoint is art
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:29:35 -0700

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:28:15 -0800, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, jason -dot- deal -at- mitratech -dot- com (Jason) wrote:

> $But PowerPoint is much more than that. Sure, it's just a content delivery
> $mechanism, but it includes wizards and workflows that guide you along and
> $suggest a certain way of doing things. It's not so free-form as a pencil
> $and paper; it's more akin to Mad Libs. Not that it's quite so constrained,
> $but the idea is the same; you're not allowed to do anything you'd like, and
> $even if you are, it's only by subverting the normal workflow, by adding
> $scripting functionality or throwing out the predefined templates (like
> $rewriting the Mad Libs from scratch on their paper).
> $Sure, it can be entertaining and informative. But the problem is that it
> $doesn't encourage care and preparation of one's presentation, and does
> $encourage *something else*.

To really get the most out of PowerPoint, you have to ignore some of the
wizards and templates Microsoft has thrown in.

In my opinion, a lot of these templates are there for those who have
neither the time nor the inclination to develop their own templates.
Maybe we can throw in lack the ability while we are at it.

PowerPoint is a tool to help the presenter deliver a message.

Wisely used, it is an incredible asset.

Poorly used, and people start to think, "Oh my God! Not another
PowerPoint Presentation."

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta