RE: Long Plea for Help....

Subject: RE: Long Plea for Help....
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:57:38 -0600

Jennifer asked for input on her project.

Based on everything you said, Jennifer, I'd suggest that you consider using
QuickSilver (previously known as Interleaf, before it was purchased by
Broadvision). It's a comprehensive, XML-compatible doc authoring and
management tool that works on both Windows and Mac, and can give you a
tremendous degree of flexibility on the output end. Chief drawbacks: cost
(think $$ to $$$, compared to $ to $$ for competing tools) and ease of
learning. Chief strengths: You want power? You want stability? You want a
tool that can withstand hurricanes? (Well, okay, maybe the hurricane is a
stretch.) I went from "0" to "confident user" within about three months of
first seeing the tool. If you read the available comments on it (there's
also a somewhat dormant discussion group on Usenet; go see
comp.text.interleaf) you'll quickly see that this product is not for the
faint-of-heart, but in your situation, it sounds like you could make the
case for getting the license. Our company has used it for several years, and
it is the cornerstone of a greater transition we are making to using XML.

Good luck-
Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor, Texas Instruments - Tucson
jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com