Re: Acronyms After an Executive Summary

Subject: Re: Acronyms After an Executive Summary
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:27:24 -0500

Westbrook,Beth wrote:
> When an acronym is spelled out in an executive summary, should it
> also be spelled out on first mention in the actual body of the
> document?

In the documents I edit with several sections, including a summary,
the first instance of the term or name *in each section* appears as
"Spelled Out Name (SOM)." Subsequent instances appear as "SOM."

We even do that if the term or name is used only once in a section.
That seems odd to me, but I suppose some readers might benefit from
knowing what the acronym or abbreviation is, whether or not it's used
as such in the document.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com