Framemaker Questions

Subject: Framemaker Questions
From: Amy -dot- L -dot- Carlson -at- jci -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:18:02 -0600

Hello,

We are making the Word to Framemaker transition, but my group has decided
to go with unstructured Framemaker until we have access to the Enterprise
CMS our company recently acquired. I was/am in charge of template
development. Because we are using unstructured, some people on our team
want genericized headings like Heading 1, Heading 2, etc., etc. instead of
content specific headings like Installation or Mounting. It seems to me
the transition to structured Frame and the development of our DTDs and EDDs
would be easier later on if we used the content specific headings, but
since I am just now learning more about these concepts, I'm not certain.

Also, I noticed that when converting documents from Microsoft Word to
Framemaker, the column headings do not convert as column headings, just as
regular cells. I've asked that we add 1 row to Heading (In the Table
pulldown menu) so Framemaker recognizes it as a true heading. Does anyone
have experience with this?

What is the best way to generate a TOC? Standalone or with the whole
document in a book? Why?

Can you give me any insight? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Amy L. Carlson