RE: Agile software development and effect on techwriting

Subject: RE: Agile software development and effect on techwriting
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:43:41 -0800

At 08:46 AM 1/14/2004 -0800, Sean Hower wrote:

A week or two has been the average for me. Which generally works out for the kind of stuff that I'm doing, smaller applications with a pretty stable core of functions. The last week or so is usually spent verifying info, editing, and inishing up the help files.

I've requested from our VP of Engineering that I get a week from whenever the code freezes, and he agreed. So far, for each interim release of our fledgling product, I haven't needed that whole week because I've pretty much kept up with the changes along the way.

Now we're in final bug week for the 1.0 release to our first paying customers, and the code is still changing. There's hardly "slush," much less freeze, but I've still got my promise of a week after the last change, in case I need it, which is a nice buffer for verifying everything and generating final PDFs and help files.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein