STC.org

Subject: STC.org
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- capulet -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:17:18 -0800

Does anybody else think the STC home page could use an overhaul? It took
me, like, 45 seconds to locate the Search button.

We were recently discussing the seven, plus or minus two rule on this
list. The STC appears to have applied the 67, plus or minus 32 rule to
their site. While I applaud certain design decisions (for example, the
big 'EMPLOYERS' and 'JOB SEEKER'--which ought to be 'SEEKERS'--buttons),
I'm crippled by choice. There have to be at least 60 links off that home
page. Furthermore, the site design gives few hints about which links are
most important--everything seems to have equal weight.

For a society of technical communicators, you'd think we could do
better. Mind you, my membership has lapsed, so I'm just griping. Cheers.
DB.

Darren Barefoot
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com