Re: Linking from an application to a PDF

Subject: Re: Linking from an application to a PDF
From: David Knopf <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: John David Hickey <jdave -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:02:43 -0800

John David Hickey wrote:

Greetings!

PDF is not fit for CS-Help. It can work, but it's not
ideal. Why PDF over other formats?

It would allow for a consistency across the documentation and would
avoid having to maintain two sets of documentation. One of my writers
had said that the PDF format had been upgraded to allow for CS links
from the application, so I'm trying to find out how that works
exactly.

PDF is not a suitable format for online Help. We've worked with many clients who have attempted to implement a PDF-based Help solution, but 100% of them abandoned the effort due to negative feedback from users and customers.

If it's too complicated, we'll probably just go with WebHelp (via
WebWorks and Frame).

Using WebWorks and Frame will aos enable you to "avoid having to maintain two sets of documentation." In fact, that's the number one benefit of using WebWorks with FrameMaker or Word.

Regards,

--

*David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ San Francisco*
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com ~ http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
RoboHelp ~ FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & Techshoret