Re: Writing Costs Worldwide

Subject: Re: Writing Costs Worldwide
From: "Steve Arrants" <steve -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Jon Leer" <jleer -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:06:47 -0500

"Jon Leer" <jleer -at- comcast -dot- net> asks:...
> OK. What is "peanuts"? Let's get some real numbers here.
>
> If we know that equivalent writers would bill out in US at $40/hr. and
India
> at $10/hr., then we have something to work with.
>
> As far as competing with outsourced writing, there is always a way. As an
> independent contractor, you need to know what you're up against and be
> creative to add value or other sources for the disparate income rate.
> Otherwise, you might as move on to some other career. How about pumping
gas?

Back in 2000-2001 when I was editing/managing online help writing done in
India,
the weekly wage for a writer THERE working for the same company I worked for
HERE was $80/$100 a week. I was getting about $25 an hour for my work. Not
that my work was so much better,
but they couldn't get anyone here in the States to work any lower.