Re: Trademark Possessives

Subject: Re: Trademark Possessives
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:37:17 -0500

The only fine point that I see you're missing is that you
*should* not use a trademark in the possessive. But you
certainly *can* and many people do, either because they are
not aware of the finer points of trademark law or they find
it awkward to write "the Microsoft company's software" v.
"Microsoft's software". I've even slipped a time or two
myself, because the possessive is so much easier to write
*and* read.

Trademarks that have been "damaged" by misuse include
asprin, xerox, kleenex, ...

-Sue Gallagher