XML and efficiency

Subject: XML and efficiency
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:19:48 -0500

According to France's XML survey, all respondants were more efficient because of XML.
A potential client creates sw for a rapidly growing customer base. They customize their doc for each customer, which requires tons of conditional text, and my guess is that this will soon become unwieldy. They currently use FM and RoboHelp. Would XML improve their efficiency? Why? How?
I have read through the archives and the recommended articles, and I understand the basics of how XML works (tags, structure, etc.), but I don't understand why or how XML improves efficiency. I just don't understand the advantages of using XML.
Thanks for any clarification!
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3