RE: What i want to say, the next post...

Subject: RE: What i want to say, the next post...
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 20 Jan 2004 23:34:58 GMT

In all the years I've been hiring tech writers, it has
never occurred to me to say "should know how to write,"
or "should have writing skills" in a job posting for
a "writer." I've always assumed that someone claiming
to have experience in the field would know that they're
not going to get the job if they don't impress me with
their capabilities and experience during the interview.
Job posting forms usually have tiny little boxes to
enter skill and experience requirements, and there's
barely enough space to fit in special skills without
trying to squeeze in an entire treatise on what
constitutes a professional writer.

The Fortune 500 thing probably means that they're a big
company, plan on being one or have to work with one, and
want someone who can negotiate the red tape that comes
with the territory.

Gene Kim-Eng