RE: Users' documentation and QA Teams

Subject: RE: Users' documentation and QA Teams
From: "David Locke" <dlocke -at- texas -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:52:04 -0600

Having worked in a place that had three different blame assignment systems.
I'd say, never, ever create a blame assignment system, and if they already
exist avoid them. I delegated my engagement with the systems. And, I kept
them out of my processes. Unfortunately, another lead sold the client
project manager on one of the blame systems, so it got installed, but was
rapidly forgotten.

The result of all of this blame management was to restructure tech doc, so
there was no distance between them and their clients. Their clients didn't
believe that tech doc provided an important service. But, they took the TWs
in for layoff protection.

Blame assignment systems don't work. And, companies, which play the blame
game, are companies that will be laying off soon enough. Skip the games.
Skip the blame. Use your influence for positive purposes.

David Locke