RE: texas tech university online graduate program/experience

Subject: RE: texas tech university online graduate program/experience
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: <nhancock -at- mindspring -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:11:03 -0800

If you've been in school long enough to earn two degrees
and still don't feel competent, what makes you think that
more education is going to help? I'm sorry, I don't mean
to seem rude, but I just don't follow the logic.

Go out and do a real project from start to finish. Find
something in the open source community that interests
you, volunteer to write a procedures manual for the local
animal shelter, ... . You get the idea. Put all that
education to work in the real world.

Or find a technical writing internship. Internships give
you real-world, corporate experience with lots of hand-
holding from someone who has experience in the field and
who gives a damn. (You have to give a damn to run an
internship program, trust me! <g>)

Whatever you choose, make sure it's real work that
has you interacting with real people and projects. You
need to prove -- both to yourself and to your first
hiring manager -- that you can function in the real
world and produce real work, not just intellectual
exercise.

As a now-and-then hiring manager, I would see no benefit
to you from more education. Real-world experience is what
you need in order to make your resume look good enough to
get you hired in a real job.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher