RE: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef? (more Linux cut & paste)

Subject: RE: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef? (more Linux cut & paste)
From: John McDermott <jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:00:04 -0700

>>But I only have a two button wheel mouse.
> Without having a two-button mouse to verify ;-), I think you click both > left and right buttons at the same time.

The wheel also acts as a button if you click it, making it the center button. Linux has had support for the wheel mouse for some time. Clicking both left and right works on wheel-less mice, too.

The real issue with cut and paste is (last time I tried it, with older versions of OpenOffice, etc) was that users could not cut and paste between OpenOffice and, say, a browser. At the time, this was because OO kept its clipboard to itself.

This is not intended as flame bait, but BTW, I use both Linux and WinXP. I have way fewer app crashes on Linux than XP. There are some great apps and tools for Linux. As soon as OpenOffice can accurately import/export files my clients send, and as soon as I can do Acrobat tools on Linux, I will have no reason to have an XP desktop around. There are just so many cool things Linux can do (it actually supports multiple desktops without an add-on tool). My business does need Quickbooks, but that is another issue altogether.

--john
--
John McDermott
Writer, Educator, Consultant