Re: Profile

Subject: Re: Profile
From: sarahv -at- edt -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:25:46 -0700

This brings back memories. When I was going through the hiring process at
a NY investment firm five years ago, they had me do a drug test,
background check, register with the SEC, meet with a private investigator,
and do a personality test. After working there for two years and becoming
the senior writer/AVP, my boss pulled out my Caliper test (I guess for the
first time) to see what qualities we should look for in future applicants.
We were having a hard time finding qualified--or even
well-groomed--people, and she was convinced the Caliper would help us out.
Of course, the pitiful salary we were offering new tech writers had
nothing to do with it.

The test basically said I didn't play well with others, didn't like
details, and they would definitely not recommend that I be hired. I swear
she looked at me like she was seeing me for the first time, and I could
see her thinking, "Gee, this Sarah character could fall apart any minute."
She promptly sent me to management classes that were all based on yet
another personality test, where it came to light that I was an Eagle with
Peacock tendencies.

I would never take another one of these ridiculous tests to be used as the
basis of hiring me. I'd tell them I'm a Libra, and we just don't go for
that sort of thing.

Sarah