Re: M$ @ it again!!!

Subject: Re: M$ @ it again!!!
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:53:15 -0800 (PST)

> Everything that happens after that is based on
> misreading or
> misinterpreting the meaning of "corporate standard
> office suite."

I wish it were that easy. I've worked several places
where MS apps were the official company standard, and
in each case, it was absolutely impossible to convince
anyone to allow me to use FrameMaker. The main problem
is these decisions are all too often made by people
who think they are familiar with the MS product suite,
and they don't want to think about anything else.

Part of it is because they figure as long as
everything is done in MS apps, they can work with the
files themselves if they need or want to. Another part
is, they're afraid that if someone installs software
they're not familiar with, they may lose some control.
And their ignorance of non-MS software is a bother. In
most cases, a manager who doesn't know anything about
Frame or Open Office doesn't want to have to learn
different software so he can make rational decisions
about it, so he insists on MS Office apps because he's
more comfortable with them. At many companies, the
insistence on using MS products has a lot more to do
with the bosses' comfort levels than with operational
efficiency.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/