Re: Self-promo in dangerous times

Subject: Re: Self-promo in dangerous times
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:32:27 -0700

Kevin wrote:

> Our company was bought last summer, and the combined company
> was bought again, just this month <snip>
> innovators that they are). However, the combined company will
> have more than a few tech writers, and as you know, we are
> inter-changeable. (ahem...)
> I'd sorta like to be one of the retainees. :-)
>
> I'm thinking that it's better to ensure retention, rather
> than to try to claw my way back from a layoff notice. So,
> my dilemma is how to hint at my value to some unknown
> decision-maker (in another city, in another country)
> in the buying company (both buyer and buyee are publicly
> traded). <snip>
> Has anybody dealt with this? How do you even know what
> inquiries are safe to make (to locate the decision-makers),
> and which might amount to shooting oneself in the foot?
> I'm too close to the problem. Tactical and strategic suggestions?

Congrats on the excellent review of your work! I assume your _local_
muckety-mucks know about this and realize that you're adding value to their
product?

Regarding any possible layoffs, I see two likely scenarios, depending on how
your company is absorbed and the resulting corp. structure:

(1) Your company continues to operate much as it does today, as a business
unit or division within the parent. IOW, your org. chart remains much as it
is today, but with the box at the top now reporting to a VP or something at
the parent. In that case, you don't need to influence a distant
decision-maker, but a nearby one. For instance, if the parent decides to
trim staff, your business unit might be given a target, but it would be up
to your local management how to reach it. So they're the ones who need to
see you as too valuable to let go. Who's your immediate manager? In this
scenario, that person, and that person's manager, need to fight to retain
you.

(2) Your company's functions, departments, etc., are integrated into the
corresponding parts of the parent. IOW, your org. chart is thrown away and
all your local staff take their appointed place in the parent corp. org.
chart. In this case, if the parent has a bunch of tech writers, they
undoubtedly have a manager, and your box on the combined org. chart would be
under that manager. In this scenario, that's the person whom you need to
impress with your value.

If (2) is the case, you should hear from the tech. comm. manager eventually,
but may want to initiate contact sooner if possible. But not too soon, if
the deal is still a ways off. Your initial contact, besides expressing your
unbounded joy at joining your new colleagues, should be something
action-oriented, showing that you have a go-getter attitude. Like saying
you're eager to align your docs with the parent's and asking about style
guides, standards, logos, etc.

But you can't do that too soon -- and it sounds like this is too soon, if
the deal won't finalize for a couple of months -- because they'll wonder
about either your judgement ("jumping the gun") or sincerity ("just
schmoozing").

Good luck and HTH!
Richard

------