Re: M$ @ it again!!!

Subject: Re: M$ @ it again!!!
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:52:05 -0800 (PST)

> Keep in mind that you're not asking your boss to use
> your tools.

Yes, I already understand that. I've never gone to the
boss and said, "I got a better application that you
should learn." I've tried to pitch the advantages that
come from using FrameMaker. I've done both face-on and
written presentations. I've pointed out Frame's
greater stability and detailed the amount of time
saved by not having to fight Word's notorious
POM-dependent autonumbering/style instabilities. I've
shown by example how I can work in Frame and still
deliver files that can be opened and reviewed by Word
users by saving my output in RTF files. I've tried to
explain it not just as a matter of my efficiency but
how much it benefits the company - manhour requirement
comparisons. And in the cases where there were more
TWs than me in the company, they already knew how to
use Frame and didn't need any conversion training;
I've pointed that out, also.

I think I can truthfully say I'm no tyro in making
pitches. I studied speech and debate and drama in both
high school and college. I used to make a decent
living at door to door sales. I've successfully held
jobs where I had to liason between my company and
state government agencies and sell them on our ideas
of how to do things. And yet every time I've tried to
convince a manager to let me use Frame instead of
Word, the reply has always been negative. I've tried
everything I can think of short of blackmail and
kidnapping. Maybe I'm not dedicated enough but I
figure even FrameMaker isn't work risking Leavenworth.
:-)

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/