RE: Profile

Subject: RE: Profile
From: "Wendi Whitfield" <wendiw -at- mlasolutions -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:34:41 -0500

Hi John,

It's been a few days since your post ... have you received your Caliper
results yet?

I have taken the Caliper and, in my past life as a recruiter, I had to
administer it. [DISCLAIMER: The following info is in no way supportive of
the product or the process -- I'm just stating the facts.] We gave the
Caliper to candidates after we'd picked our 2-3 finalists for a position. It
was $100+ (I don't remember exactly -- this was 1998), so we used it
sparingly. I saw the results but I didn't evaluate them -- that was the job
of the hiring manager.

Unless it has changed in the past 6 yrs, the Caliper is a bit different from
other personality tests: the test administrator submits the job
duties/responsibilities of this person's position, and Caliper compares
these duties/responsibilities to the candidate's answers, giving feedback on
how the candidate would succeed or fail in this particular position. The
results were usually a 2-page synopsis of the candidate's strengths and
shortcomings, all as they related to the position. (The administrator also
indicated whether the test-taker was a candidate or a current employee -- if
you're an employee, the results are aimed at you, telling you what you can
work on, instead of telling the boss whether you're fit for the job.)

I took it as an employee and my results stated, for example, that I have
good judgment, which (according to Caliper) would be important when
selecting candidates for positions. It also told me that I have a tendency
to be aggressive, when I should try to be assertive instead (which I've
noticed is true).

Do I think it ever helped in the selection process? Not really. Did the test
ever disqualify someone? I remember a sales person being pegged by the test
as introverted, and therefore was nixed. (But if this was a problem,
wouldn't it be apparent in the interview?!) Would I ever use it if it was my
choice? Absolutely not, especially not for a technical position. I've
certainly worked with my share of Miltons (with their favorite staplers) who
have been great programmers. But I did find it interesting to view my
results. So John, let us know if yours at least have some comedic value.

Wendi