OT- Sad Lament of a Sole TW

Subject: OT- Sad Lament of a Sole TW
From: Tronajc <tronajc -at- juno -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 04:13:53 GMT

Sad Lament of a Sole TW.

Well Tuesday next week, most likely will be my last day in my present position ? that is the day I will be ?required to leave my present position as ?Snr. TW.?

Why ? Because my present position has outgrown me ? I am now required to be TW, Reviewer, Editor and Proof-reader of my own work, (Some TW can be all that ? I cannot? I know my strengths and weakness and ? two out of four is my limit?) and I know that I can not fill all those positions or wear all those hats.

Today I was given a choice ? shape up or you are out. Although all parties agreed that our present process does not work (rush, rush, deadline tomorrow , by the way, the French, German, Dutch, Swedish translation needs all the graphics changed. What, you don?t know the language? use Google language translator and the deadline is today 6 pm). It Friday 7 pm and you want to go home? Stay, We have work to do?

What is the new process I hear someone ask ? (hopefully said he)--all work is 90% finalised (no predrafts or drafts) before being reviewed once by a company representative before being released to our users -- Lack of money, time and resources although all true is not considered the problem but my lack of ability to be more that I am. Team work - there is no I or you in Team ? You stand or fall on your own.

Am I bitter? Yes, Am I Mad and Angry? Yes, Did I see this happening? Yes.
Did I speak up and call a meeting with my manager and those of IT and QA and others to discuss the problems and propose possible solutions?, Yes. What was the answer ? You have to adapt and sorry, lack of time , resources does not allow up the luxuries of a normal TW process and Teamwork with regular reviews and feedback. People are already overworked and we cannot add to their workload to assist you in doing yours.

Am I perfect? No, I make mistakes, (rush, rush)) my grammar and spelling needs work, in the review we will catch that, No review ? ?but?? I accept responsibility for my documentation --Did I mention I work on 6 different documents concurrently did I mention I do paper based as well as online Html and some Java help documentaion-- We all do, Right?

So my question is Do I resign before Tuesday or do I wait for them to ask me to leave? What do my fellow Snr TW advice? What do my fellow Canadian Snr TW advice?

Positive comments welcome ? others - well you know what to do with them.

WARNING - all the comments are mine, many responses contain some twisted for of wit, You need a sense of humour as well as wit - I refuse to take any e-mail seriously as I consider it a forum to exchange thoughts, idea, and points of view for discussion or comments. An informal method of communication. Note: I enjoy reading Sig lines - the best seen today may have been yours!

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!