Re: Giving TW help: Are we training our replacements?

Subject: Re: Giving TW help: Are we training our replacements?
From: "Robert H. Strickland" <strickla -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:06:40 -0800

Hey Chuck,

I just now read your message.

I would not worry about divulging information on this list. The proof of a writer's skill is not the ability to use a tool, but what he or she creates with the tool. I can describe to you how to paint like Rembrandt, but to produce a Rembrandt painting -- well, you're on your own.

I just had a wild thought ..... why don't we start a list for lurkers where nobody posts a message? We could have a website (maybe Lurker.com -- probably already taken) that nobody visits.

Bob
At 06:04 PM 1/8/04 -0800, you wrote:

Bottom line: When answering pleas for help here, and in other online venues,
are we in some cases telling people how our jobs are done fundamentally,
people who are angling to take our jobs for lower pay, especially people who
are "offshore?"

But what happens
when people start asking fundamental questions that are typically taught in
even the 10-week certificate courses?

Oh yeah, happy 2004.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com
Writing. Organizational, Communication, and Marketing Assistance

P. O. Box 1388
Everett, Washington 98206-1388
Phone/Fax: 425-259-9397
Mobile: 425-876-2139