RE: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....

Subject: RE: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:19:14 -0500

Are we speaking about tech writing??? During a number of interviews in the
spring of 2001 and then again in 2002, no one even asked if I had a degree.
There was one guy who asked for my SAT scores from 1979, but he was just
really competitive about that sort of thing.

Here in the DC area, there are many government contractors who require a
degree, but they hardly define the industry as a whole, even locally, and
certainly not nationally.

In short, Isaac, it depends. I think it's inaccurate to state that, "without
the paper, you better be very good." Some companies care about the paper,
and many don't. Doesn't hurt to have one, right?

Of course, *every* company prefers to hire a "very good" tech writer, but
only the smart companies know to look for them on TECHWR-L. :-)

Dan Goldstein