Re: Graphics in lines of text

Subject: Re: Graphics in lines of text
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:04:55 -0800

Patrick Brady wrote:

We use FrameMaker 6.0 to create our user manuals and documentation. Recently, a marketing person suggested we insert a small thumbnail in the
text of the actual button that a user pushes. So, instead of "Press
Enter," it would be "Press (then you'd see the graphic of the key)". He
wants this throughout our manuals. We're resisting this request. First,
it plays havoc with line spacing; we don't think our users need it (the
marketing person is telling us about 'eye movement' studies, and saying
how much easier it is to comprehend); and, since many of our manuals are
translated, we fear major problems if we insert graphics within the text.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you give us any advice?

At Informix (R.I.P.), we created illustrations of the buttons, etc, and placed them in the left margin, in line with the text that refered to them. The images were about 3 times the size of the leading, but mentions of the buttons were never so close together as to produce a collision of images.

We also used such graphics to point out warnings and recommendations.

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net