RE: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)

Subject: RE: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)
From: "technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:15:48 -0700

>I may not have been clear enough on this point. I was referring to the
current designers,
>not the original ones. The original UNIX version of Frame was quite
brilliant for its time
>(though IMO, still not as good as its primary competitor, Interleaf).

One of the developers of Frame posted on Frameusers a few years ago that
adding multiple-undo caoability to Frame would've been a major
reengineering effort (or as he put it, a "nontrivial" undertaking)
because of the way the legacy code was designed. That said, I believe
there's a plugin available that will add that capability. Whatever Frame
is lacking, it still has *many* features worth the effort I've expended
to learn it--even without a plugin or modification.

I haven't found single XML editor, off the shelf, that even comes close
in terms of ease of use. Granted, you can set up a workflow that is
simpler, but you can do the same with Structured Frame. And I'm not just
bashing XML. I rather like it and find content management, XSLT/FO, and
industrial-strength single source very cool. But let's be real in our
expectations here. You aren't going to find a simple XML editor on its
own that does everything that a DTP app does. And XML *is* supposed to
be the bleeding edge, right? Having bled a bit on account of both XMetal
and Epic, I'm not convinced that the designers of Frame have been all
that remiss.

Bill
technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net