RE: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"

Subject: RE: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "Rachael Lininger" <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:45:14 -0500

Rachel asked:

>Is there a standard usage, or should I just pick one?
>Is there a style guide with information security terms?

This is the first I've heard of the term, and I've been wrong before
(just ask anyone on the list), but I'm not sure that you'll find it in a
style guide of security terms (if one exists). I'm guessing that the
term is derived from the 1983 John Badham movie "WarGames." I think
that's when a large segment of the public was introduced to the concept
for the first time. Matthew Broderick's character was shown doing it
early in the movie, that's how his system ended up connecting to the
government's war planning computer and nearly starting a world war.

The movie title was one word, no hyphen, if that helps...

--Rick Lippincott
Billerica, MA