Re: Doing Your Own Art

Subject: Re: Doing Your Own Art
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:13:46 -0500

Johnson, Mike (MED, OEC) wrote:
> I've done lots of block diagrams, captioned photographs, and screen
> shots,
> but never generated any line art from scratch. We are going to have
> determine how to produce pictures of the human figure operating
> complex
> equipment, etc. Stick figures won't cut it.
>
> I'm sure others have been in this spot. What did you do?

From the body of work already completed, print the best examples. The
illustrator probably used a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe
Photoshop. You'll get better at using layers, masks and cloning, for sure.

There are sources for complete figures, but you'll have to check the
licensing statements.

Eventually you'll have a stockpile of clip art.

One tip is that it helps to have your figures in vector artwork, where some
transformation is easier.

Additional tip: use a digital camera. You can develop your own style by
combining several digital techniques.

Ed Wurster

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for Computer Systems and Networks
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design