RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site

Subject: RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site
From: mlist -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:12:09 -0500

T. Word Smith [mailto:techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com] wondered:

> Well ...
>
> The question is, if all the resources are available to
> everyone for free, why become a member of the STC?

Does STC offer anything beyond that information?

If the information offered on their web site is the sum
total of their benefits-of-membership, then two things
come to mind:

1) why would I want to pay a hundred-and-some bucks per year
for that? (*)

2) if that's all they've got, then they should protect it.

On the other hand, if they offer services and additional
added-value, beyond the info that's posted on the web, then
there's no need to be dog-in-the-manger-ish. The info can be
freely available, and its quality and usefulness are selling
points for the (presumably even more beneficial) benefits of
paid membership.

If I visited their site and it was nothing but a gateway
to the pay site, with a handful of teaser snapshots and
article titles, all pointing to "Join now! Have your credit
card ready! The good stuff is inside!", then I might think
I'd stumbled into yet another internet pr0n site. :-)

/kevin
(* It's way past time I threw some more money at a certain
techwriter web site that we all know and love. If the
better half would just get herself re-employed...)