Re: Javadoc resources for tech writers?

Subject: Re: Javadoc resources for tech writers?
From: Martin Polley <martin_keren -at- shaar-hagolan -dot- co -dot- il>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:16:16 +0200

Hi Lyndsey,

The way I understand it, the best way to work with Javadoc is to
edit/correct/complete the comments in the source code itself, before
generating the output that will be included in your documentation. That
way, when the time comes to update the documentation, you will have much
less work to do. (Your changes will already be in the output, so all you
have to do is use a comparison tool to figure out what has been added or
changed, then edit the comments accordingly.)

Setting up some kind of toolchain to automate as much of this process as
possible would save even more time and effort.

HTH,

--

*Martin Polley
*Technical Communicator

From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:36:00 -0500

I seem to be missing something here. Several years ago I was tasked with writing a programmer's guide, and someone suggested that I use Javadoc. I got access to the code files, ran them through Javadoc to get the HTML output, which, if I remember correctly, contained a subset of what I described in my reply to Joyce. Because the output was missing some important info, I decided that it was not useful enough and so I printed the source code and created the programmer's guide from that.
It seemed to me that Joyce was asking about writing something similar and she needed the information generated by the Javadoc, but did not understand the output well enough to feel confident writing about it. You and others seem to have interpreted her query quite differently, but I don't understand your interpretation. On the assumption that other list members might be confused too, perhaps you could elucidate.
Thanks,
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3