Re: Differences between Quicksilver and Interleaf

Subject: Re: Differences between Quicksilver and Interleaf
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "Akella, Padma PA \(EM GECIS\)" <padma -dot- akella -at- geind -dot- ge -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:07:05 -0500

Akella, Padma PA (EM GECIS) wrote:

What is the difference between Interleaf and Quicksilver? Is it just the same s/w with a new name? I did try to google for some info. Appears like it's a 'take-over' by Broadvision! Is it possible to find out the pricing for the QS s/w licenses as well?

Contact Broadvision for pricing information. I believe (but could be wrong) that you still cannot buy an individual license for the software. In fact, the last time I looked, their model was that you can't buy a perpetual license in any case but can only, in effect, rent the software, and must do so in fairly large corporate blocks.

However, like Interleaf before them, I think Broadvision probably changes their pricing model about every three weeks, so your guess is as good as mine.

You are correct that Quicksilver is Interleaf with a new name and new owner. And despite over a decade of rumors of its impending doom, apparently it is still being maintained and supported, at some low level. Broadvision has done some tweaking and upgrading, to keep up with the evolution of operating systems, and they have begun to reintroduce some of the features that were dropped between Ileaf 5 and Ileaf 6. However, if you are working on a UNIX platform, I still don't think you can beat Ileaf 5.4.1 for advanced functionality. (The only downside is that you may not be able to get drivers for newer hardware, so proceed with caution if you happen to find a liberated copy of the older software.)

HTH,

Dick