"Breadcrumbs" in Dreamweaver?

Subject: "Breadcrumbs" in Dreamweaver?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:47:02 -0500

I'm in the early throes of throwing together version 0.1 of my future Web site using Dreamweaver 4, and discovered yet another thing I don't yet know how to do. I'd like to automatically insert "breadcrumbs"--so named based on the tale of the children wandering in the woods and marking their path by leaving a trail of breadcrumbs.

In Web terms, these are the "you are here, and here's the path within the site's hierarchy you took to get here" lines that appear at the top of a page. For example:
Home --> Resources --> Mac --> Downloads

Clicking on any of these words brings you back to that page within the site's hierarchy. I find this more effective than relying on the browser's "history" feature because it shows your position in the site's hierarchy, not just how you got there, and greatly facilitates backtracking.

The Dreamweaver docs make no mention of this that I couuld find, so I imagine this is something that would be handled by a third-party plug-in of some sort. (For example, NetObjects Fusion has exactly such a plug-in: you add it to the MasterBorder, and the plug-in does the rest.) Any thoughts on how to do this automatically? I can kludge my way around it using templates, but that's more maintenance-intensive than I'd like.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca