Re: Everyday [was: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"]

Subject: Re: Everyday [was: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:40:26 -0500

Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN wrote:

I can imagine people dismissing this as the
English-major version of font-fondling.

Oh great! Now I'm a fondler in two domains and the master of my own. Next thing you know the vice squad is going to come blasting through my front door.

But seriously folks ...

I find galling the attitude that the quality of work a person produces doesn't matter. I understand the concept of "good enough": companies are in business to make money, not to indulge neurotic perfectionism. At the same time, though, slapping something together to fill the space and then sending it out the door with no concern for form makes no sense to me. What good does it do if a writer has an accurate understanding of the facts but presents them in such a disorganized, contorted, obscure, and ambiguous fashion that the reader is left confused, uninformed, or misinformed?

I struggle with co-workers who send documents out to prospects and customers that accurately demonstrate the author's lack of skill with language or presentation and cannot understand that this reflects badly on the company, not just on them as individuals. Or they understand it, but they don't care, which is worse in my mind.

Color me old-fashioned, I guess.

Fondle-y yours,

Dick