Re: "If the docs are too good..."

Subject: Re: "If the docs are too good..."
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:55:17 -0800 (PST)

> Well, it's Friday and y'all are being too serious.
> Here's something to
> have some fun with ...
>
> So an SME I was talking to floated the ol' air
> biscuit that he "was told
> by someone who'd been told that if the product docs
> were too good, that
> clients wouldn't purchase the training." Any
> suggestions for snappy
> come-backs to that one?

Tell him: Sold training programs always have inherent
flaws for the same reason he doesn't want better docs
- money. Companies always spend even less on training
than they do on documentation, so the training
programs are always too short, not detailed enough,
and cover what the trainer thinks the client needs,
not what the client needs. Clients always have
problems with freeing personnel from their normal
duties to go to training courses, so they send the
people who are most expendable, not the ones who would
benefit most. The product docs are meant to give the
clients the answers they won't get from the training.

It won't convince him because he's seeing dollar signs
and in business nothing counts against that. But it
might be amusing to watch his reaction.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html