can you recommend a good book on the mysteries of Illustrator and graphic file formats in general?

Subject: can you recommend a good book on the mysteries of Illustrator and graphic file formats in general?
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:11:03 -0000

Hi there -

I'm probably looking for the impossible: a book that explains things for
a not-very-graphically-orientated newish user of Illustrator and gives
lots of tips and tricks.

What I don't want is a 'classroom in a book'. We have Adobe's book on
Illustrator, which I hate. For me it's useless. What I don't need is a
book that steps me through a hypothetical project. I need a book that
explains what everything is. For example, I can save an image for the
web, and I can choose different settings for the gif. What do those
settings mean? That's what I need to know.

I also need to know about different image file formats. When do I use
tiffs? How do I decide optimal image sizes for the web? What's the best
way to manage our graphics library (which doesn't exist. There's just a
huge collection of images all over the network).

Finally, on a related note, does anyone know why I can't seem to buy a
copy online of the 2003 edition of JoAnn T Hackos' _Managing Your
Documentation Projects_?

Thanks

Elizabeth OShea
Documentation
Virtual Access (Irl) Ltd.
Unit 18
Trinity Enterprise Centre
Pearse Street
Dublin 2
Ireland
e: elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com
t: +353 1 6041816
f: +353 1 6705380