Re: About mil/heavy industries documentation standards (long)

Subject: Re: About mil/heavy industries documentation standards (long)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:19:38 -0500

"Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se> wrote on 02/12/2004 04:41:48 AM:
> Why, I ask myself, do not these standardization bodies put
> more effort on the issue of presentation?

Very simple answer: Because CONTENT IS KING.

Once you've standardised the content and it's structure and organisation,
you can present it virtually any way you like.

Plus, each agency/company may have different style guides. So, the common
and important thing is that the content be reusable between different
publications and electronic publications.

When you're talking about an aircraft with 10s of thousands of pages of
information, probably 99% of the problem is ensuring the information you
need is included and it's organised in a recognised way. Once you've found
it, it isn't terribly important what it looks like.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer