Re: Editing .pdfs - to do or not to do is the question

Subject: Re: Editing .pdfs - to do or not to do is the question
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:01:10 -0500

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:26:47 -0800 (PST), k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

... You
get two people making changes to two documents, and
you quadruple the chance of information falling out of
synch.

If you're also supporting multiple versions or revisions of a
document, it gets even worse. "Joe Customer's on the phone,
and says the instructions are wrong. Which version does he have?
Didn't we send him that patched PDF? We didn't send him the
one with the changes for DeadBetter Corp by mistake, did we?
That tech writer never gets things right. Maybe we'd better
replace her with someone who can keep things straight."

If you must use a doomed process, at least try to add another
layer of process to correct for it. That'd be a scheme for
registering every change, the reason for it, the date, and
so on. Formal change orders, with change-order numbers and
all that. With luck, the powers-that-be will reject both the
corrective process (with all its added expense) and the doomed
one.