Re: Editing .pdfs - Continued

Subject: Re: Editing .pdfs - Continued
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:07:48 -0800

WOW!!! You have been around a long time. I bet you even remember PMT's and the old IBM Composer...wonderful machine for justifying text. You could do it faster using a chisel on a block of marble. I agree, pages created in the "old" days may have looked bland, but they were packed full of content. (I wrote MILSPECs and MILStds back in the old days and font fiddling consisted of Bold (double strike) or normal (single strike). It's a lot harder today to focus on good content when everyone from the SME to the Marketing Guy wants something that speaks "leading edge technology," even if the subject matter is a composting toilet.

Al

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Nostalgia time! We used to write up our drafts on
ruled paper with #2 pencils, create our illustrations
on a drafting board, send them all off to the secretarial
pool to be typed and then out for layout, printing and binding. Then came "Technical Publications," with editors,
illustrators, typesetters and later desktop publishers.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 541-218-1252
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang