Errored out, or erred out?

Subject: Errored out, or erred out?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:03:17 -0500

Keith Cronin wondered: <<Which do you use [Errored out, or erred out] when referring to records that generated error messages while being processed?>>

I'd fight to the last gasp to avoid using either, actually. Since you asked.

If "the processing generated an error", that's exactly what I'd say. Since you're the writer, you could probably add "don't blame me, I'm just the writer" and hope nobody would notice.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca