Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase

Subject: Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: chevotilburg -at- postmaster -dot- co -dot- uk
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:56:56 -0800 (PST)

--- chevotilburg -at- postmaster -dot- co -dot- uk wrote:
> Everyone wants a change in the documentation area -
> however - i think
> starting with a template that serves all - is not
> exactly the first step.
>
> Any suggestions on how to establish an information
> flow that can be used
> by all?

Hi,

Work-flow is important. Others have already told you
so.

May I suggest that you start with an information
architecture. Identify all the users and then assess
their needs. Then take a look at work-flow and how
information development works today. See if the
processes fit in todays world and remodel as required.

Regarding template. Move into XML. That way a template
will not stand in your way. Separate the presentation
layer. Inevitably each department will, sooner or
later, want something different from a template and
sometimes the tech pubs may even use two or more
templates of their own.

When you move to XML you can focus on content
structure and how to chunk the information for content
reuse.

In the back, start writing the XSLs that will create
your presentational outputs. You may start with
Docbook for the DTD and XSLs. It will save you time.

This way you can continue to port legacy to the new
documentation while being productive.

I know this is vague, but if you need more information
contact me.

Sean Wheller

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html