Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase

Subject: Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:43:56 -0800

Personally, I think there's been entirely too much emphasis in recent years
on promoting business initiatives by convincing people they should be willing
to join in because it will benefit them. In some cases, management just
needs to wave its big stick and say, "Henceforth, thou shalt do this or else."
In the OP's case, this is what seems to have happened, and though it is
certainly possible to take issue with whether it's the right road to take from
a technical viewpoint, the fact that management is willing to start down *any*
road to a corporate kb is half the battle won...*if* management has and is
willing to use the clout to move the company forward. So while I might have
been willing to make a different suggestion to management had I been asked
in the early stages, now that management has issued its directive, what I
would do is get on board the train, push that common template like it's the
best idea I've ever heard and start whispering in someone's ear my thoughts
for the *next* step in the process.

Gene Kim-Eng