RE: Grade-level writing - tool suggestions?

Subject: RE: Grade-level writing - tool suggestions?
From: "technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:33:29 -0700

Can't help you with analysis tools. I haven't used any other than those
that came with Word. With Frame, I use my own judgement.

Had discussions many moons ago on this topic (which you *might* find in
the archives circa 1995), but the gist of these were

- Use basic, everyday terminology (Anglo-Saxon derivatives rather than
Latinate or Greek).

- Use basic sentence structures with few (if any) embedded clauses.

- Use SVO word order, active voice, and coordinating conjunctions.
(Subordinating conjunctions tend to enhance the likelihood of embedded
clauses and convoluted structures).

If you find yourself using lost of polysyllabic terms, you're probably
missing the boat.

Bill
technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net