Re: Speed menu vs shortcut menu

Subject: Re: Speed menu vs shortcut menu
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:50:25 -0500

Personally, to avoid ambiguity, I'd settle on "right-click menu" and be done with it...*if* the product operates in that fashion on all supported platforms.

And if all your users are right-handed <grin>. I got nailed on that one during a project for a graphic design firm. Most of them were left-handed, and at least half of them had fancy mice that allowed them to reprogram the buttons. We initially settled on "little-finger click" as being the most generally applicable term, but I gradually migrated them to "Click the context menu button," eliminating all directional terminology and letting them choose which button to program with that function.

Obviously, for the button-challenged Mac folk, that would not work.

It's only the basic mouse that comes free with the machine that is limited to one button. The third-party mice I've seen have at least two buttons. The ergonomic USB mouse I just bought has four buttons and a scroll wheel, and comes with software that lets me program single, double and triple clicks for any given button, as well as combined-button clicks and button+key options---far too many to use them all and keep track of them, but great for customizing things for both convenience and physical comfort.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.