Re: name for expand/collapse button

Subject: Re: name for expand/collapse button
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:06:23 +1100

James Jones wrote:
> Patrice Dodd wrote:

>>> I need a name for the button that expands and collapses a pane. To see
>>> an example, go to

> Michael West wrote:
>> By the way, the button doesn't exactly expand
>> and collapse a "pane"; it expands and collapses
>> a list. The "pane" is just the container, and of no
>> interest to me as a user. It's the stuff inside the
>> container that I want to know about.

> In the XYZ panel, click the button next to the heading to
> expand list of options.

Now *that* sounds familiar. Oh, I see -- it's what I posted
with a couple of changes.

But no, you can't really use the definite article
("the heading") there because you haven't specified
*which* heading you mean. It needs to be "a heading"
or "any heading" unless you specify a particular one.
Michael West

Previous by Author: Re: name for expand/collapse button
Next by Author: Re: Speed menu vs shortcut menu
Previous by Thread: RE: name for expand/collapse button
Next by Thread: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads